Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Gaby!

I I can't believe what happened today.  Gaby's foster parents brought her to the hospital to see me! Dan had run into the foster mother recently and told her a volunteer who worked a lot with Gaby was coming. They exchanged phone numbers and it happened! 

First and most importantly, Gaby seems to be doing really well.  She is saying words and even sang a little song. They are trying to get eye surgery for her.   She can eat holding a spoon herself.  Her foster parents seem like wonderful people. They have two sons, 16 and 8 years old. The foster mother had dressed up Gaby for her visit. They even brought me a basket with a flowering plant and had Gaby give it to me.  How nice is that?!  If only all of our children here had homes like this.  

Dan said Gaby's twin Mihalea lives in a nearby village so Gaby's foster family sometimes see her.  She and Gaby are about the same height but Mihaela is a bit heavier. Mihaela is so smart; I hope no matter what the circumstances that she will do well because of that.    

Dan and I took Luciana to the orthopedic office where they measured her for special shoes. I splurged and bought her pink ones with a butterfly on them.  I used donation money for them so thanks from Luciana to those of you who bought her shoes!  I knew you would want her to have pretty ones and not boring black.  

Luciana did not like the car ride or the doctors office.  She was ok in the car when we left the hospital but started screaming as soon as we we walked into the office and she saw the white coats. She cried the whole time we were there hanging on to me or to Dan.  It was just overwhelming to her even though they were very nice at the office. 

She also doesn't like Physical therapy and cries during it.  I sat with her today and sang her songs to calm her down. You know it's bad when my singing is better than whatever else is happening. 

The good thing is they had wrist braces at the ortho office so I got one for my right wrist.  What I wouldn't give for a chiropractor and a massage right now. 

Emma, Luca and Ionella left for the placement center today. Apparently other children there have chicken pox so I guess Luca and Ionella will be with them. Ionella was not happy being confined to one room at the hospital so maybe it will be better for her.  Ionut and Ionella were kissing through the glass window in the door today.  

So now we are down to Elena, Carmen, Delia, Luciana and Ionut.  Of course, Ionut can count as two children and so can Delia if she isn't getting enough attention! 

This afternoon, Sarah was inspired to take her slipper and sock off and draw with her two toes like Delia.  Delia loved it and even asked her to do it again later in the day. Sarah said she has a new appreciation for Delia's ability to draw with her toes! 

I'll post pictures separately.  What a special day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment