Friday, February 20, 2015

Last day

In past trips here, I've posted almost daily. This year between being more tired and unreliable wi fi, I've posted a lot less.  I've tried to focus more on essential news about the children and less about things like the corruption scandal with a female politician that is all over the national news. There is one piece of what is hopefully good news about the country. The new President is from Brasov and people seem to like him. He is not one of the former communist cadre.  Let's hope things improve under his leadership.  

Global volunteers posted a link to this blog on their site.  They said I have been here 11 times in 8 years.  I thought this was #10 here but I haven't kept track that closely so I trust their numbers.  It is funny to think that before coming to Romania I did GV programs in 6 other places but after coming here it is the only place I keep coming back to.  The other programs were great and I'd love to go back to some of the, but this is the place that really tugs on my heartstrings. 

As usual, today was a bit sad saying good bye to the children. It reminds me of why I always come back - because I miss those little faces and voices and most of their antics. 

Speaking of antics, here are some from today:

Sarah has an instant camera.  She took a picture of Delia and when Delia looked at it she tried to swipe it.  

Luciana had a picture of herself and put it to her ear and pretended to make a phone call. 

Ionut grabbed my phone and tried to have a conversation with Siri. When he heard the voice, he said, "ce fac?" (How are you?)

Ionut and Luciana were sitting next to each other eating their soup. Luciana was trying to feed herself with mixed success. Ionut reached over and was trying to take spoonfuls from her bowl.  

Ionut has learned when the aides eat their meals and know when to go in and cadge some snacks.  

Sarah was Delia's personal slave today.  As you may know, Delia finds someone who will be at her beck and call. Thank goodness for her strong personality.  If anyone can overcome challenges, she can! 

Luciana rocked out to yo gabba gabba. Elena likes it too.  

Carmen was babbling today, which has happened just a few times.  She seemed a bit more alert.  

We also had a surprise visit today from Gaby's foster mother and foster brother.  They brought me a gift. I feel like I'm getting all this love on behalf of all of the other volunteers! I have their contact information.  I plan to send them some pictures when I get home. Some other volunteers from previous trips want to try again to get eye surgery for Gaby and I've told them I would be happy to help out.  With these foster parents, it may be more apt to happen than in previous years.  

Off to Bucharest tomorrow to catch a flight to Paris and then to Casablanca.  Meet the tour group the following day in Rabat. Wish me luck with my connections.  I'll post more pictures of the children when I have better wi fi.  I'll post about Morocco on Facebook.  

Pa to Barlad and the children once again.  



No comments:

Post a Comment