Friday, February 13, 2015

Io

Ionut is fond of saying, "Io" which essentially is the typical toddler "me do it." Several of the others may not say It but that is exactly how they behave. It can be charming except for when you are trying to get them to eat and most of the food is on them not in them.  The morning snack of yogurt and the afternoon snack of banana are definitely the most popular food items. 

There is such a difference having fewer infants and more toddlers. They not only are  talking, they are talking to each other! I had to laugh when Delia and Ionella had the how are you, I'm fine conversation today. They tend to act like siblings including snatching toys away. 

Ionella is the little mother and helper to everyone.  She is very tidy and wants any spills cleaned up immediately. She even brushed something off my pants today.  Her favorite place is in the hallway watching the activity.  

There is a video with children's songs that plays almost continuously in one of the rooms. Thankfully it is not the same one that I memorized on prior trips. Delia can sing most of the songs, which are in English. She maybe missing some limbs, but she is bilingual! She is quite the diva; she loves attention and watching herself in videos and pictures.  

I should report that the yo gabba gabba toy that I brought 15 months ago is still operational. I don't know if this is good or bad. Luciana quite likes it and sings some of the words. 

Dan and Mihaela brought a small toy kitchen that used to belong to their daughter.  They love playing with it.  Luciana pretends to eat with the spoon and bowl. She will be feeding herself soon. 

Cathy got Carmen up and walking a bit today.  At first I thought she couldn't do it but I think she just doesn't get the opportunity to do it very often. It does tire her out and she takes a nap afterwards. She also  seems to follow objects with her eyes.  Cora, a former volunteer, told me that she can see light and dark so she must make out shapes.  

The only child that has noticed my cast is Ionella. She touched it and then touched my other arm and could tell it was different.  The stickers that I brought are decorating their hands, not my cast. 

Can't remember if I mentioned that we saw Adrian who used to be at Tutova. He seems to have a nice foster mother who brought some flash cards down and gave them to the children. Adrian has come and played with us a little.  He is a sweet boy. 

The pediatric neurologist came from Iasi today.  She comes once a week so there were lots of people  to see her. She saw Luciana and hopefully wrote the order so we can get her some orthopedic shoes. They have to be special ordered and will take about 4 weeks to arrive.  I told them that I will pay for them with the donation money that I got from generous friends. 

Today was Sarah's last day. She and Cathy went to Transylvania this weekend and she flies home on Monday. I move out and of my single room tomorrow and will share with Cathy for the rest of the time here.  The other Sarah, Luisa and I are staying in Barlad this weekend. I have already been to Transylvania and have seen the painted monasteries three times. It takes 4 and a half hours to get to either place so I'd just as soon rest and get some walking in and get ready for another week with the children. 

I confess that I am more tired on this trip than on previous trips. I suppose the cast on my arm has something to do with that! I am compulsively washing my hands and using hand sanitizer do I don't get sick for the rest of my trip.  

Will post pictures tomorrow when I can sit in the lobby and get a better wi fi connection. 


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the updates, Evan. I'm glad you're resting this weekend. I know how exhausting the volunteer work is. Take care of yourself. Enjoy your weekend and the second week with the children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Evan! Was it the Adrian who had a repaired cleft lip/palate? I hope you have a restful weekend!

    ReplyDelete