Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Dismal

Not a very uplifting title but the brightest spots in the day have been the children's smiles. Otherwise weather and moods are dismal. I did have a good start to the day when Alexandra wanted to be held for awhile. We danced around the room and looked out the window. I did get my cardio in with games of sus and jos (throwing babies up and down), dancing, chasing and bouncing. Also did a few choruses of Old McDonald and Wheels on the Bus when the CD player wasn't cooperating. This is the only audience I've ever found that doesn't cringe at the sound of me singing.

Daria's mother came to visit today. Daria's second cleft palate surgery is scheduled I believe for later in April or May. They may try to move it up. I expect Daria will go home. Daria was nestling her head on shoulders and more cuddly than usual today. She has a nasty cough so maybe she isn't feeling well.  Daris is saying Mama pretty clearly and doing great with walking.

I hear Celine's mother came to see her as well and to check on their trip to Bucharest next week for further evaluation for Celine. Apparently her mother is young and quite pretty and lives in a village with her grandparents. We know where Celine got her good looks from!

Tried to get Gaby to go through the tunnel. She has latched on to playing with 1/2 of a plastic Easter egg so Jane tried putting it part way through the tunnel hoping she would see it and go after it. She went only as far as she had to and stretched to reach it and then scooted right back out. Probably she can't see well enough to be willing to venture through.

Alina and I have picked back up on our games of patty cake although now the twins are anxious to play as well.  I'm trying to reinforce Caroline teaching her to say I'm a US citizen. The first part comes out pretty well but citizen is a struggle.

We broke early for lunch as the aides all got called into a meeting. I was surprised when bottles came 30 min. early. We are not sure exactly what happened at the meeting but think Dr. Delia was telling them about jobs in the area.

You'll be glad to know that I found the "stop motion" setting on my camera so can get some better pictures. I've been with a small group of children though so am having a hard time getting everyone's pix. Check out Caroline's blog: tutovababies.blogspot.com. She has some great ones.

We had dinner at Trattoria Da Vinci and I confess I indulged in pasta and chocolate cake. Stress eating. Went to the market afterward and I did get a small supply of wipes, baby shampoo and baby food even though we don't know how long the children will be at the clinic to use them. They can always send items with the children wherever they go. 

We are learning that what is happening to the pediatric recovery clinic in Tutova is happening to hospitals all over Romania. There are a number of hospitals being closed, although I don't think any with a similar population.  At this point we don't know what is happening and when. Information seems to be evolving. So we are taking one day at a time. I am hoping that Global Volunteers will be able to establish new working relationships with other organizations in the area, perhaps the ones where some of the children will be sent. I think the CEO of Global Volunteers will be here in 2 weeks or so to work on that.

Meanwhile, here are some pictures. Will try to get around to see some other children tomorrow but of course caring for the babies comes before taking pictures!

Maria Cleopatra
Marius loves being tickled
Alina

Classic Gaby with her 2 fingers in her mouth
Andreea
Roxana eating a cookie
Andreea paying a quick visit..
Daria 
Alina and the tunnel

No comments:

Post a Comment