Saturday, March 26, 2011

Uncertainty

I've arrived safely in Tutova, but confess to being more than a little worried about what the next few weeks will bring. Dan picked us up at the airport and said we may hear more definite news on Mon. or Tues. about the timing for the clinic closing and where the children are going. It's strange to think that I left social work many years ago when I decided it was just too hard to feel helpless working with at-risk children. And here I am again. I've gotten more back than I've given these little ones. Wish I could have more hope for their futures.

On a lighter note, there are 5 of us on the team for the next 2 weeks and then 3 for the 3rd week. Although it is sounding like some other former volunteers may try to get here soon to say good bye. Oh wait, I said on a lighter note.  Anyway, the "light" part is that I'm sure we will have a great team. Caroline, Jane and Robin (who has been here and I didn't realize was staying on) are all veterans like me. I had the pleasure of spending today with Cathy, our new volunteer, and as with others I feel like I'm making another friend. We went into Bucharest and went to the Village Museum and the older part of town where I've stayed before. I managed not to get us lost and got us back to the hotel and then to the airport to meet the team.

The weather today was quite nice - not too cold although a bit windy.  I heard it may cool down again though. And Romania changes clocks ahead an hour tonight so I'm losing an hour's sleep twice this year. I didn't sleep much on the plane flights on the way over and I can tell my body clock is off even though we did a lot of walking around and being outside today.

I just may need to sneak over to the clinic tomorrow before orientation starts but then I'm afraid I won't want to leave and come back to the hotel to sit in a meeting. Who wants to be in a meeting when we can be with the babies....
.

No comments:

Post a Comment