Monday, March 28, 2011

First Monday at the clinic

Woke to a dreary, foggy and slightly rainy day. The pleasant weather we had in Bucharest on Sat. is past and it was quite cold today. At least the path to the clinic isn't too muddy.

Lots of hugs and kisses with the aides. It has got to be so hard for them knowing many will be out of work soon. Vale noticed I had lost weight and asked if I was sick. I reassured her that  I wasn't. I asked about her children and she appreciated the inquiry. All of this in my few words of Romanian and nonverbal communication!

On previous trips I have been with the non-mobiles.This time I said I would be with the mobiles. They mobiles though seem to be divided into two groups. The "toddlers" who are more mobile and/or older were in the pre-schoool room with Jane and I was in the big playroom with the twins, Gaby and Marius with Alina in and out. In the afternoon Jane was also with us while the toddlers were with Malika in pre-school. Then after pre-school ended we had the whole gang in the playroom. Jane brought this great silk like fabric tunnel that the children loved. The ones that were reluctant to venture through it liked the texture of the fabric and playing with the outside. Something for everyone.

Felt like I didn't need to do my in-room workout before going to the clinic what with chasing babies, lifting babies, tickling babies, and being bombarded by babies. If only I had more arms and laps  It is fun to see the twins, Marius and Daria walking. Gaby is a little further along in that she is generally more willing to walk but still needs to have both hands held. Alexandra doesn't seem to happy these days. Not sure what is going on with her. Celine taught me the Romanian word for horse when we were in looking at the new musical mobile I brought that has gone in Nicoletta's crib. (Nico is in isolation...again.)

Not sure if it is operator error or my camera or the older children being in constant motion but I didn't get too many great pictures today. Here are the best ones.
Me with Gabita
The twins check out the tunnel
 Maria Cleopatra

Roxana and Lily looking out the window
Andreea

Cristi (as noted on his special outfit brought by Jane!)
Marius

Cristi and Jane
Nicoletta
Daria makes it through the tunnel
Alina
Gaby took 1/2 of a plastic easter egg and moved it along the mirror with her mouth
 Andrada
Cathy with Gaby and Andrada

 Ana Maria doing her WC Fields imitation
Maria Alexandra aka pappanoush
Ionut


2 comments:

  1. I can't beleive how big Alina is (she was 9 months old the last time I held her). Always great to see pictures of the beautiful children. And I'd love to hear updates as to what's going to happen to the kids and the global volunteers program now that the clinic is being "re-purposed". So glad you can be there. Give them all lots of love for me.

    -Mela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures and the updates! And Evan, you are so skinny!! How did you do it?

    ReplyDelete