Sunday, March 27, 2011

Getting ready

Spent today in orientation including a quick visit to the clinic. The usual routine of establishing goals and talking about team characteristics had a different flavor. In addition to the more typical goals of caring for the children and learning about the culture, I had a personal goal to stay positive and strong. I especially liked Jane’s goal to “be present.” 

And the usual team characteristic of being flexible also takes on a special meaning in these circumstances. We talked about things like having empathy and patience and the particular need this team to take care of ourselves so we can take care of others. I’m confident that together we will persevere despite the difficult situation.

I was even more excited than usual to arrive at the clinic and see the children. I heard a baby crying and walked in to pick up Ana Maria and found the the room of children all awake. And there across from Ana Maria was my Gabita looking smaller than I remembered but more animated and excited to be picked up. It has been 6 months since I was last here and I can see changes, be they big or small, in some of the children. The twins, Andreea and Roxana are walking and Lea Celine is talking up a storm. Paula is definitely doing better. There are 2 new additions, Andrada and Maria Alexandra aka pappanoush (which is a Romanian donut dessert) and Robin’s BFF. I understand Caroline has been teaching Alina to say “I am an American citizen” to prepare for her entry into the U.S. Although Mihaela did remind us that kidnapping children violates Global’s rules.

At 7 pm we were joined by the waiter Ovi and I’m sure former volunteers and supporters around the world in a few minutes of silence and prayer for the children and staff. We just have to hope and trust that in this dark cloud there will be a silver lining. As I write this I’m remembering that the Chinese character for crisis includes opportunity. Or something like that. We’ll hope for the best.

I usually don't take pictures on the first day at the clinic but plan to take some tomorrow. We don't know if some of the children will be leaving sooner rather than later. Dr. Delia is in Jerusalem, I suspect praying for the children and staff, and will return late Monday. Mihaela hopes to have more information at that time about what is happening and when. Meanwhile, we have a job to do. I'm going to be with the mobiles which will be a change for me as usually I'm with the non-mobiles. Hopefully we can spend time with everyone. So hopefully I will have pictures to post tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving your blog already!! With everything going on, I just wanted to say that I have been taking comfort in knowing that all of you veteran volunteers are there, not just for the kids, but especially for Mihaela and Dan. Please stay strong, and give extra hugs to the kids for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what yokoot said, plus thank you for keeping us posted.

    ReplyDelete