Monday, March 14, 2016

I'm a gummy bear

Every team, I seem to have a song that runs through my head and this year it is, "I'm a gummy bear."  Thanks to Laura for sharing this with us. 

This morning we realized how quickly last week had gone. I suspect this week will fly by as well.  Last week started out with nice weather, then we had rain, now it is in the low 40s and feels even colder. Maybe we will see snow!

We arrived at the hospital hoping we could manage without Lauren. I'm sure Elvis noticed her absence immediately. We made sure to give him plenty of attention.  In fact, he and Marian were the only two that ate well this morning. Elvis rolled over once, which I don't think I had seen before.  

 Ilinca started off seemingly ok and doing a bit of walking. Then she fell asleep at 10, wasn't eating anything, and sure enough she had a fever.  She cries without making much of a sound and it is just heartbreaking to see.  She seemed to be perking up a bit this afternoon but still wasn't eating.  Even Coca and Dan couldn't get her to eat and they are the experts.  Earlier in the day, Laura noticed that her skin is raw between her dingoes because of sucking them so much.  

Lavinia had a great day as long as she was getting attention, which we were happy to provide.  For the first time, we saw her scoot on her stomach using her arms to pull herself forward.  I suspect she thrives when she has more interaction.  She was more interested in toys and loved it when she got to play with a balloon.  

I bought a doll stroller for Luciana over the weekend.  She is all about taking care of her baby so I thought she might enjoy it.  Sure enough she spent a good part of the morning taking her baby for walks up and down the hall. I had to laugh when she went to the shoe cupboard to get shoes for her baby!  I also noticed that she said hello to the woman physical therapist who was there today working with other children.  Last year, she cried when she saw her so that is an improvement.  The day was topped off by Luciana wearing a red wig and taking selfies with my phone. 

Liviu loves his playmate, Lisa.  She and Dan are working to get him on his feet a bit.  She did a great job getting him away from the Tv and teenage mutant ninja turtles for awhile. They played a card game and then she found some books in Romanian and he was teaching her numbers and words. He continues to like playing the basketball game on the IPad, which is actually quite good for his eye hand coordination.  

At about 11:45, a man arrived with a white coat and a mask and what looked like an oxygen tank. Turns out he was spraying the rooms with some kind of disinfectant. It smelled like pine sol. I wondered what was going to happen for nap time.  Coca made beds out of the bean bag chairs and blankets and the children settled in for a slumber party.  I think a good time as had by all.  

After lunch, we bought a stroller, partly to make it easier to take the children outside when the weather is nice but also to make it easier to take children like Lavinia down the hallway.  With the kids that are floppy, it is hard to prop them up in a wheelchair. I'm pleased to report that most of the kids got a ride in it and seemed to like it. 

Maria had an average day.  She reminds me a bit of Paula with her autistic like behavior and a bit of Gaby the way she looks at her hands and feels your hair. She has a lazy eye and I'm not sure that she sees very well.  

Oh yes, Luciana and Liviu brushed their teeth with the toothbrushes that Laura brought. Liviu really seemed to enjoy it! 

Marian enjoyed the extra food he got when others didn't want to eat. Dan got him on his stomach and tried to get him to raise his head a bit. He is another one that likes to play with, and pull, hair. Ken seems to be bear the brunt of this. Marian loves Ken.  When he put him in his crib when we were leaving, Marian was sobbing. It was sad to see.  

I suspect that I'm leaving out something important but it is 8:30 pm and I can barely keep my eyes open. I can't believe there are only 4 days left.  

The slumber party 


Taking good care of Elvis


Go Liviu! (And Lisa)


Maria


Lisa and Elvis


Marian


Lavinia likes balloons


Liviu and his best bud


Ken multitasking with Ilinca and Elvis


Ilinca without her fingers in her mouth, which is unusual


Elvis and the elephant




No comments:

Post a Comment