Sunday, October 13, 2013

Back in Barlad




Dorel and Dan safely transported our team of 4 to Barlad last night.  When we got to the hotel we heard people chanting. Dan told us that there was a protest going on. Apparently Chevron has received permission to conduct an exploration of natural gas resources in the area.  I can see where it would be tempting for the local people in a poor rural area to have a big company come in with jobs. People are smart though and understand the environmental impact that kind of project can have.  So who knows what will happen. 

Our team is me, my niece Shannon who graduated last May from Sonoma State, Cora who is a retired nurse practicioner and a former team mate and Mitchell who just graduated from UCLA. He was on a team with his family in Ecuador over the summer and had the chance to do another team. His grandmother has volunteered a lot and was in Romania 14 years ago so after her stories he decided to come here.  

We learned today that we will have 10 children.  At Tutova that wasn't a big number but that is more than I've ever had here at the hospital. Looks like we will be using the third room more than on prior trips.  For former volunteers the children that you may know include Delia, Alina, Luciana, Andrei, Luca, and Maestra (from Tutova.) The children that are new to me are Lavinia, Georgiana, Ionuts, and a little boy whose name is escaping me the moment. I'm sure I will learn more about them and get reacquainted with the other children over the next two weeks. 

At breakfast this morning we spent some time getting acquainted. I tried not to brag too much about my niece Shannon.  It is so much fun to have her here with me. After breakfast, I took Shannon and Mitchell on a walk around town and to the open market.  The open market was packed full of people. Given that is has been harvest time, there were lots of fresh vegetables and the ubiquitous potatoes. Also chickens and two really big turkeys.  I bought some flowers for our hotel room and gave some to Cora. Mitchell passed on flowers for his room. 

Then we started orientation with Mihaela. Our team goals are pretty typical: to support the children and staff and to learn about Romanian culture. Shan added to learn things that will help her for grad school on social work. I added to write this blog and hopefully encourage people to come here and volunteer! We learned that after our team leaves in two weeks there won't be another team until December. And there was a 2-week gap before our team. I always feel badly for the children when there aren't volunteers. 

We did get a quick visit to the hospital. Alina was wearing her very stylish scarf on her head. She immediately gravitated to Shannon's long hair to continue her preparations for a future career as a hairdresser. Mitchell has 3 younger sisters and seems to have quite the knack with the little ones. Cora cuddled Lavinia. I was missing Gaby and Cleo but will be kept plenty busy with the children we have. Alina and I got in a few games of patty cake and I tried to help Ionuts with walking. It would have been better if his pants weren't falling off of him.  Delia was pitching a fit over something and Cora immediately asked if she was 2 years old and guess what, she is! Lucky to have a reigned. Use who is also a great grandmother with us. 

We finished orientation with Romanian language and I even learned a new word, merge (or something like that) which means walk.  And I was very proud of Shannon as when Mihaela asked her what GVs philosophy is she quoted it perfectly! 

We are all excited about starting our fun with the children tomorrow!  

BTW, I became quite obsessed by the picture of the little Asian boy on the Bucovina water bottle as the day progressed. Apparently the slogan on the bottle says something about strength and balance and connects to an advertising campaign. I think he is supposed to be a little Buddhist monk.  I just had to take a picture and share it with you. 


 
 Shannon with flowers. She bought the hat at the open market as she was cold. She discovered at the hospital that warm clothes will not be necessary while working with the children. As usual, I was sweating and we were only there about 30 minutes!


    I'm not sure if this is cabbage or lettuce but it is really big!


  
    And they don't even have thanksgiving here. 
    
     My little Buddha boy. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Evan, I so wish I was there, and it makes me sad to think I may not be able to go ever again. Your blog posts are a joy to read though, and I look forward to more. Please give my love to Cora!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evan,
    I'm really looking forward to reading your blog. I know you will miss Cleo and Gabi. I missed Cleo too when I was there. She was a very special angel. I know Alina, Emma and the others will keep you quite busy. Enjoy your time with them.

    ReplyDelete