Saturday, October 19, 2013

Saturday in Barlad

Cora and I enjoyed a later than usual breakfast and wondered how the young people are doing on their trip to Transylvania.  We have better weather today, windy but at least with some blue sky along with white coulds. Definitely Fall.  I think it is a rule in Romania that once the temperature drops below 60 degrees that young children must be dressed with coats with hoods and hats under the hoods. Saw a lot of bundled up children.  

The open market had lots of stalls selling beaded jewelry and other merchandise along with the usual food.  More stalls like this than I have ever seen before.  I don't know if this is now typical on Saturdays or if it was special today.  We stopped at the market on the way back to the hotel. 

After a short rest, I walked up to the Public garden near the children's hospital. It is about a 25 minute walk.  I've mostly been there is the snow or much colder weather so I explored more than before. Found a cross at the top of some stairs. Not quite the Filllmore or Lyon Street steps but enough to get the hart rate going a bit. I definitely needed the exercise as I have not been good about it on work days. Somehow picking up the children and getting up and down from the floor feels like enough exercise on week days! 

On my walk to the garden, I saw what looked like about 20 policemen along the side of the palace of justice. On my walk back I stopped to watch a demonstration against Chevron in front of City Hall. I didn't see a large police presence though so maybe they were there in case or were being dispatched to other locations. I think there were about 100 people of all ages. Lots of signs and the Romanian and EU flags. It sang that long ago when under communism a protest like this wouldn't be possible.  I figure it wasn't a good time to be an American but stood across the street in solidarity. Some buses and cars were honking horns. There was lots of chanting and I heard the cadence of "the people, united, will never be defeated."  Not sure if that is what they were saying! Reminded me of my days on picket lines when I was a social worker and later when I dated a union organizer. 

Spending a quiet late afternoon and evening at the hotel reading and relaxing. Usually when I am here for the weekend I go see the children for a few hours at least one day on the weekend but I think it might be more disruptive than helpful. They get so excited and all want attention and then get frustrated when we can't give it to them.  Sigh. I'll just have to do the chicken dance by myself. 


     Stall at open market. I have tons of market pictures in prior posts so didn't take them this time. Red peppers and cabbage etc look pretty much the same year after year. 


     The supermarket already has Christmas candy. 


    Somehow the name nougat pillows just tickled me.  No, I didn't buy any. 

 
    The worker sweeping the square was actually using these brooms. 


    The square next to the hotel with a view of City Hall (pre-protest.)

 
   I usually don't like to invade people's privacy and take their picture but couldn't resist sneaking this one. 




  

 
     This picture of a ladybug is for my nephew Ian who likes bugs. 






   Our hotel

 
    Our room 

2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen any coverage of the protests in the news over here. Be careful. You never know when a crowd could go crazy.

    PS: I like "nougat pillows" too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met a guy yesterday here in Pennsylvania who is an anti-fracking activist. I told him about the protest in Barlad, and he was delighted. But I feel like the money will always win out, and there will be fracking. <>

    ReplyDelete