Friday, February 19, 2010

Farewell to Tutova

I can't believe this is our last day at the clinic. Despite some minor discomforts, the time goes really quickly - probably because we have such busy days.  Today was a day for getting in those last minute hugs and kisses with the babies, finishing writing in the individual journals that the teams keep on each baby, our good-bye party with the clinic staff, and oh yes, packing! At least my suitcase will be much lighter going home without all the donations for the clinic.

Speaking of which, I finished spending all the donation money I was given last night. Made another trip to the pharmacy for medicine the clinic needed, bought some supplies for the clinic, and stocked up on yogurt, baby food, disposable diapers and baby wipes - especially since there won't be a team after us. Want to make sure the babies get their special snacks and stay clean and healthy! Thanks so much to everyone for their contributions.

We went for our last dinner in Barlad last night to a new restaurant called Trattoria Da Vinci. As you might expect it is Italian food and it was wonderful.  It was the best food I have ever had here.  Almost as good as Pane e Vino on Union Street.

The day was a blur trying to spend time with all of the children in all of the various playrooms, sick rooms, isolation, etc. A few things of note from yesterday and today: Saw Maria Cleopatra being fed sitting up in the aide's lap yesterday. I don't know that they are doing it all of the time but I bet it helps keep more milk in her than outside of her. I realized Mihaela is saying "bravo" now - I thought it was ba ba or something to that effect. Ion circumnavigated the isolation room today holding on to a crib, wall or sink with one hand and a maraca in the other hand. Andrei got out of isolation and then put back in. Not sure what is going on with him. He and Andreea were chatting over their adjoining cribs in the sick room when I went in there today.  Denisa projectile vomited today - hope she isn't getting sick. Cristi stands up in his crib when he thinks no one is looking. Apparently Alexandra is asserting that strong will of hers and is refusing to suck on her bottle and wants someone to squeeze it for her. At our good bye party today with the aides Andreea (a guest) picked up a little cake and ate it.  It is so rare for these kids to know how to eat with their fingers - they eat from bottles and spoons but little solid food and no finger food.

At the end of the day today, Dr. Delia came to say good bye and thank you. She had been to Vaslui, the county seat, for some meetings about the hospital.  Apparently the Health Dept. is restructuring some things and they are going to move the acute pediatric section of the hospital in Tutova to Barlad. (This does not affect the pediatric recovery clinic where we volunteer.) I suspect this is based on numbers and probably makes sense from an efficiency standpoint. Dr. Delia is concerned, though, that the poor families in Tutova and surrounding villages who have a pediatric emergency will have a hard time getting their children to the hospital in Barlad.  This is probably the kind of thing that happens to medical care in rural areas all over the world.

Our train leaves tomorrow at 7:00 am for Bucharest and we leave the hotel for the train at 6:15 am. Rosie, Caroline and I are taking the train by ourselves as there isn't another team following us. We will get a taxi at the train station that will take them to the airport and me to a hotel by the airport that I've stayed at before. Getting a taxi in Bucharest is always an adventure due to all the scams. Wish us luck.  Since I should arrive at my hotel by 12:30 or so I may take a taxi back into town for some sightseeing although that will depend on how I feel. Frankly, I've seen most of the sites but one thing I haven't seen is the Patriarchal Cathedral. If I'm not too tired I may try to do that. The challenges of not getting ripped off by a taxi driver, or finding a decent taxi, tend to discourage these kinds of trips.

I'll be home Sunday night. Will post more pictures after my return when internet is not so slow and I don't have to wake up at 5:45 a.m.  Not sure when my next visit to Tutova will be but I'm bringing Romanian money home so you can be guaranteed I will return.

 
Marius before going to the hospital

 
Marius dressed for the trip to the hospital

 
Roxana and Petre playing

 
Celine making friends with Denisa

 
Mihaela and Gabriela (twins)

 
Ion and his maraca

 
Gabriela in a fashionable animal print sleeper

 
Roxana

 
Daria Roxana

 
Denisa

 
Alexandra and her books

 
Lea Celine

 
Roxana - note the R on her hand; Andreea now has an A on her hand

No comments:

Post a Comment