Wednesday, April 6, 2011

And now there are 7...

The drama continues.  Today we arrived at the clinic to find a television news crew interviewing Dr. Delia in the nurse's office. The aides were all with the children in the play rooms so the 9:00 bottle was delayed. They made a special point of filming Andrada, Alina, Ion and his scar and I think Cleo as well. Ion was entranced by the camera and I thought it was nice when the cameraman patted his head.I told Cleo I would be her agent for future television appearances and wouldn't take a commission.

We actually saw the feature on the tv when we were at dinner this evening. It was broadcast on a national reality network. They blurred the faces of the children although of course we knew who was who. They showed me playing with Gaby. One of the journalists this afternoon asked Cathy and I who were in the play room at the time if we wanted to make any comment about what was happening and of course we said 

Everyone played pretty well this morning. Cleo joined us and Cathy patiently fed her yogurt. I found the lamp chop puppet I had brought some time ago and it is Ana Maria's new favorite toy. Caroline sprung Nico from isolation by putting a mask on her which of course didn't last too long. Raul joined us as well. The rules have been thrown to the winds. What are they going to do? Fire us?

All was going along pretty well until we got word that Andreea was going to a foster home today. The foster mother and a driver arrived late morning and there was the usual bustling around packing toys and clothes for her. The foster mother seemed nice and said not to worry Andreea was going to a home where she would be loved. I thought it was a good sign that she said that. She also said she has 3 daughters who are excited to have Andreea come and live with them. I am more hopeful for Andreea than any of the children so far and hope she will do well.  Poor Jane, losing Cristi one day and Andreea the next. Coca, the aide, was in tears and I think got the mother's cell phone number or gave her number to her or something.

Then when we got back from lunch we discovered the hospital ambulance had come and taken Nicoletta and Ana Maria to the hospital. Yes, that was on the tv as well. We heard a baby crying that we think was Ana Maria. 

Then to make things even worse the people from the center for children with disabilities arrived and took Marius, Ion, Alina and Ionut. At first Ion seemed excited seeing the cars but got quieter as they got closer to leaving. The manager of the center seemed to be a very nice woman. She spoke a bit of English and made a point of talking to us. She told Mihaela they opened up in 2006 with 8 children and are now up to 47. They apparently don't have room for more than the 4 children they have taken already but who knows. They have 6 houses but it isn't clear how the children are dispersed among the houses. I worry less about the children who have gone there than I do about the ones going to to the hospital as we know they can't stay there for long.

At dinner, Mihaela told us that Dr. Delia is driving Daria and her mother to Iasi tomorrow for Daria's second cleft palate surgery. And then she told us that Dr. Delia is driving Petre and Gaby home. It isn't clear to us why she is driving them and the families aren't coming to get them although we know distance and lack of resources can be a problem. We also don't know when they are leaving. It is all very distressing. This afternoon Petre was asking for "Ionny" and of course today of all days Gaby walked up and down the hall way multiple times. I told everyone she is practicing for our escape tomorrow and that we are going to make a break for it through the back door.

So tomorrow we could be down to having Cleo, Raul, Maria Alexandra and Andrada. But who knows. I have no idea what we will be doing next week. Jane leaves on Sat. so next week it will be Caroline, Cathy and me. Mihaela says we go where the children go but I'm not sure what that will mean in practice. Truthfully, I wish I was leaving on Saturday although I know that is selfish as if we can see any of the children next week in their new locations maybe that would be helpful to them. Who knows.

I posted the pictures below after lunch time and frankly am just too darn tired to post any more pictures tonight. And I have a sinus headache. I really thought the children would leave more gradually and not this soon.


Gaby and Evan (Thanks to Cathy for the photos of me with Gaby! Changed my profile picture on this blog.)

Mihaela and Daria

Gabita

Coca and Andreea

Caroline and Nico

Nico in her mask

Andreea all dressed up before we knew she was leaving

Andrada seems to be getting interested in crawling!

Gaby

Cleo and Lamb Chop

Cleo eating yogurt

Ana Maria and her new friend, Lamb Chop

Coca and Andreea

Andreea and Jane

Daria and her mother

Raul and the musical frog

1 comment:

  1. I am on the verge of tears after reading about all the children leaving the clinic. I hope that all of the children will be well loved and cared for in their new placements but also know that with this being the poorest area in the country resources are limited which means many of these children will need more than there is available to be given. Thank you so much for keeping us informed Evan. It might be easier if I didn't know all the details but I'm glad that I do and I'm glad that you are there giving the babies all the love that you can. More love is always better even when it seems like it is not enough.

    ReplyDelete