Friday, April 8, 2011

A Home for Andrada

We are such slackers. We had breakfast at 9 today and then went over to the clinic. First we say the news van from the first day the media descended upon the clinic. Then to our great surprise and pleasure we found a foster family there to take Andrada home with them! Maybe her baptism helped and if there is a God s/he decided to look down on this little baby. The foster parents seemed like very nice people and had brought her clothes to go home in. They live in Vaslui and their other children are grown. Thank goodness for a happy ending for her and for our last day at the clinic. We probably said thank you to the foster parents a million times. There were fewer tears today.

I did ask Ramona more about what happened when they took Gaby home yesterday. She said Dan would tell us about how Mihaela was which led me to believe things weren't good. We heard Nicoletta say Miha was "triste" (sad) and "murdar" (dirty). I asked Ramona if there was a way to get CPS involved to keep an eye on the girls (not to mention their 2 sisters.) She said there are social workers who visit the villages maybe once a month (unlikely) and if there was a problem they would tell CPS. If it is like CPS in the U.S., neglect is often not enough to justify intervention. So I am not hopeful. I don't even want to think about it.

At breakfast we discovered that we all had dreams about the babies last night. My dream was amazingly hopeful. I found Alina in a pile of sand, brushed her face off and said "Alina is that you" and she said "yes" because of course she speaks English. Then I took her with me and got on a bus and someone told me I could be accused of kidnapping her. So I went to her mother and had her sign an official notarized document giving up Alina. I gave the mother flowers as a thank you and off we went. So there must be some small amount of hope inside me or my psyche was giving me a comforting dream!

We said good bye and thank you to the aides and left the clinic about 11. We gathered up some toys and disposable diapers we had missed being able to give to Daria. I grabbed all the puppets thinking they would be good for playing with the babies in their cribs. Jane grabbed Tigger and the thing with the mirror and hanging bird that Cristi likes to lay under.  I cleaned the mirror when I got it back to my room.

Caroline grabbed some of the things they use for Raul's bandages. I think Caroline has been supplying the clinic with the bandages they use for Raul and may need to do the same for the hospital. Her mother is coming in 2 weeks and will bring more. I know, don't get me started about what will happen to him. The good news is Caroline has been making progress with getting his medical visa to bring him to the US for treatment. I think she now has power of attorney for him as well.

Caroline and Jane are off to the hospital in Barlad this afternoon and Cathy and I are escaping to Iasi. I am not looking forward to next week but at least we will be able to give some attention to the children.
Cathy and Andrada

Andrada and her new foster mother

Coca, Jelina and Andrada

Nicoletta and Andrada

Andrada and her foster mother

Andrada and her foster father

3 comments:

  1. So glad Andrada is being placed in a foster family. I understand that foster families in Romania are much more permanent than foster families in the US. All the foster parents I've met while in Romania seemed very nice and very excited to be parents to the child they were taking home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx, Evan, for telling us what's going on with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Evan for all of the information. I am in tears now thinking about lively, spirited Miha and what will happen to Gabriela.

    ReplyDelete