Saturday, April 2, 2011

Sealed

Yesterday when we left the clinic, the doors to the adult section of the hospital were sealed by the Tutova government. (Picture below.)  And yesterday morning new locks had been installed on the gates and we had to enter by the side door next to the gate to the main hospital. This afternoon when Jane and I arrived at first we didn't think we could get in but then discovered that door was secured only by a flimsy wire we could remove. Jane informed me she had scaled the gate before so I was ready to try it if we had to (despite being 15+ years older than her!) Then this afternoon when we got to the pediatric clinic door it was locked and we had a moment of panic. Then I saw the nurse at the computer and we knocked and he let us in. I think they are so short staffed on the weekend they are locking the door.

A rugby team joined us at the hotel for the weekend. Apparently they were here last weekend as well. Unfortunately they were at Caroline's end of the hall and she had to listen to awful polka type music last night and this morning. One of the team members spoke to Cathy and I this morning after breakfast and said he is from Brasov.

The students from Mihaela's high school were at the clinic this morning so Cathy, Jane and I took a taxi into Barlad to go to the open market, the Plus market and to walk around a bit. Then back to the hotel and to the clinic after the baby's mid-day nap. I spent the afternoon with the non-mobiles (and Gaby and Daria) which was lots of fun. I even managed to get Cleo out of her crib safely. I did have to banish Daria to the toddler room for hitting after awhile.

When Mihaela joined us for dinner last night we talked about what will happen with the children leaving the clinic. No definite information and it is hard to feel helpless. I'm reminded of Jane's goal about "staying in the present" and just doing what we can for the children in the moment. I did remember a former team putting together a "chart" on each child that talked about where they were with their developmental milestones and other information. The charts are nowhere to be found but I contacted my former team mate Mela and she sent me a photo of the document. So I'm doing my best to recreate it on my netbook and we will try to fill one out for each child. Mihaela will translate them in to Romanian. This way we can take some of the wonderful information that the volunteers have shared about children in their individual journals and share it with their new caregivers. It may not make a difference but it feels good to try and do something.

There have been news stories on the television about hospitals closing throughout parts of Romania. There is video showing patients being taken out of hospitals and put into ambulances to be transferred to other facilities.  Saw a baby in an incubator being transferred. There have also been news stories of teachers demonstrating about salaries. A very difficult time for this country.

No water at the hotel this morning. First time I've had that happen. (There have been a lot of firsts this trip - and lasts.) I'm reminded of my friend Stephanie's trip to Tanzania and know this is a minor inconvenience compared to other places!

This posting is a bit rambling but it has been that kind of day - and trip.

Seals on the door of the adult section of the hospital

New lock on the gate
Ana Maria - she wiggles when I sing - hope that doesn't mean her ears hurt

Ionut

Daria

Andrada

Maria Alexandra

Gaby is a bit big for the jumperoo but it is good for exercising her legs

Cristi still talks to his penguin

Gaby and Cleo

Cleo laughs when you give her raspberry kisses

Andrada
Gabita - BTW, I think she now knows her name

Cristi pulled himself up!

Nicoletta

Andrada had quite the conversation with herself in the mirror

Couldn't find the boppies so used mickey mouse for Maria Alexandra's tummy time

Gabita

Cleo

Cristi

3 comments:

  1. These pictures are particularly precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Evan, I just cannot imagine! I admire all of you for trying to "live in the moment" -- still planning to bring Emily and come over this summer. I am just so saddened that this is all actually happening :-( Thanks for the updates!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture of Cristi Daniel at the bottom :) Great to see so many smiles.

    ReplyDelete