Monday, September 6, 2010

First Day at the clinic

Our intrepid team of 3 headed off to the clinic this morning and quickly got back into the routine.  Even with children I've worked with before there is always something new about how they are eating or developmentally what they are now learning. What follows is random observations about the children and clinic. I tried to get as many pictures as I could today as I know former volunteers are anxious to see the children but I couldn't get to everyone.  We were busy!

I was excited to see Petre and Daniela walking and Ion eating by himself with a spoon! It is like they used to do with the toddlers, they bring the mobiles out to the entry area and seat them at a little table. Petre and Daniela and I think a few others still need to be fed but still progress.  The twins Andreea and Roxana are eating better than they used to and they no longer have rashes on their faces. Andreea is farther along than Roxana but I'm sure Roxana will catch up. Andreea walks while you hold both of her hands and Cristi is walking with assistance as well. I had read about Gabriela putting on shoes and standing and walking a bit but she was having none of it today.  Daria will stand holding on to something for the longest time and is so curious. I almost applauded her today when she took a toy away from Andreea! She was bound and determined to get that toy. Andreea is quite the musician and was playing the drum most of the morning.  We made sure that Ionutz and Maria Cleopatra joined us in the play room and got some attention. I didn't get into see Raul in isolation but Steve did.  When I went to see Marius and Alina in isolation, Alina promptly slapped my face. Hopefully they can join the mobiles tomorrow.  I spent a bit of time in the mobile room and Daniela seemed really cranky. I read that she has fairly frequent crying fits.

They have new carpet in the play rooms, in fact the new carpet in the non-mobile room went in today at lunch room and we had that new carpet smell this afternoon. I was so warm that between that and the smell I finally cracked a window open (usually frowned upon I know but what are they going to do, fire me?!) The carpet isn't  patterned like the other carpet but at least it is new and was clean for about 15 min. until Roxana spilled a bottle on it and Daria spit up.

It took me all morning to notice the diaper table is gone from the hallway. They are changing the babies in the bedrooms.  And they have 5 toddler beds in a room with Mihaela, Ion, Celine and I can't remember who else in that room. Must be quite the party room after hours.

We saw Dr. Delia and got the usual tour although this time we saw the new building by the pediatric clinic with the laboratory and day treatment rooms. Dr. Delia said the hospital was at risk of being closed but the decision was made to keep it open, only they lost 5 beds in the adult section.  Apparently there is a real problem with doctors and nurses leaving the country to work abroad, especially going to England. Of course pay is a big issue. A starting doctor makes under $300 a month.  And apparently due to Romania's economic difficulties all government employees took a 25% pay cut. This includeIs the clinic staff and Mihaela's teaching job.  Dan said it will be really hard for people this winter when heating costs go up.

Paula still loves the jumperoo
Cristi
So here are some pictures. I promise more as the days go by!  (It was overcast and cooler today so we didn't get to go outside.)
Nicoletta and Daria
Roxana's hair is longer than Andreea's

Andreea, drumme girl
Petre - mobile!
Daniela - pretty as ever
Andreea playing three instruments at once
Daria loves to stand
Lorraine and Nicoletta
Maria Cleopatra



Gaby

Ionutz has gained some weight!

















No comments:

Post a Comment