Wednesday, September 8, 2010

New Babies!

Yes, there are two new babies at the clinic, both from Vaslui. Ana Maria arrived yesterday and her birthday is Feb. 10, 2010.  I think she weighs something like 6 pounds. I believe she has a genetic disease that is preventing her from growing as well as a heart problem. Yesterday she looked like a shriveled little monkey and today her face looks much better. I wonder if she was dehydrated.  The other new baby arrived today, a little boy named Costel born April 16, 2010. Is think he is about the same size as Ana Maria. If I understand correctly he has some congenital malformations and not sure what else. Details aren't always clear at the beginning so some of this info may change. As to other comings and goings, Daniela went to the hospital in Iasi today for testing. I thought she would be gone for several days and she was back after lunch! Dan said her parents want to take her home on Friday and it depends upon the results of the tests done today. We shall see what happens. Unfortunately little Nicoletta has bronchial pneumonia and went to the hospital in Barlad today. I read in her journal she had been treated quite recently for the same thing.. 

I must have brought cold weather with me from San Francisco. We had some rain yesterday and today it is much cooler and overcast. I see the weather report shows Bucharest as having weather in the 80s but Iasi (north of here) as rainy and in the 50s so there must be a cold weather front affecting us here. Hopefully it will get a bit warmer so we can take the babies outside. A few of the mobiles got outside in strollers yesterday before it rained.

I didn't post last night as we went out to dinner and then shopping for the babies and I was tired when we got back. The good news is so far my tendinitis in my arms and carpal tunnel in my wrists isn't causing any problems but my back isn't used to all of this getting up and down off the floor especially with babies! Thank goodness for ibuprofen.

Steve got money donated as did I so last night I bought some medicine and Steve bought more baby shampoo, wipes, diapers and yogurt. I'm sure we will be buying more of those items before we leave. Oh yes, we also bought boxes of facial tissue for the rooms. This is a new request but certainly better to wipe runny noses with soft tissues than diapers as we have in the past.

Gaby decided to demonstrate her walking skills yesterday and today. She fusses when we put her shoes on but sometimes actually seems to enjoy walking. At first I had to push her legs with mine a bit but then she took off more on her own. Well, not quite on her own, you have to hold both hands but still she knows to put one foot in front of the other. Amazing progress!

I asked about Mihaela going home and they have said that the parents have said they want to bring her home but who knows what will happen. So nothing definite. Dan also said Alexandra's parents talk about taking her home.  Info is often sketchy so who knows. I asked about the children at the home for disabled children in Barlad and apparently they stay there until they are 14-16 and then go to a home for disabled adults.

Daria isn't crawling but scoots along on the floor and can stand for a really long time. I put her in the jumperoo and she loved it - didn't even need a stuffed animal behind her to prop her up. Ionutz was much more animated today, rolling over and chattering away. I wish he would stop grinding his teeth! Cristi was more reluctant about walking today - maybe tomorrow. I took twin Andreea to the pre-school room when it was empty at one point today and she was so curious about everything. Oh yes, Dan put the mobile I brought on Maria Cleopatra's crib. It plays "Greensleaves" - hope she likes it. It is hard to tell what she can see or hear  but she does seem to react well when it is on.

I saw Alexandra walking today and she is doing so much better - her legs were much straighter than I've seen them before although turned out. I know she walked and then stopped walking for awhile so it is good to see her making progress again. She is still quite reluctant to pose for the camera unlike some of the others! I read in a journal that someone is paying for an afternoon aide for Alexandra. I did see Coca with her this afternoon and I think yesterday. Mihaela seems to know a whole bunch of words and can repeat what is said to her. She understands a lot too. I walked by the mobile room at one point and saw Miha had climbed on to the radiator. So I went in and said "Miha, jos" (jos means down) and she got right down. Of course as I started to leave she headed back for the radiator so I said it again. I'm sure it lasted for all of 5 seconds after I was out of sight.

Steve told me at dinner tonight about the volunteer work he does several nights a week at two separate hospitals holding the small babies. He is so great with the little ones, always going in to see Raul and now the new little ones. And his mother Lorraine is great as well and so easy to work with. I hope I have her stamina at that age! I could have fallen asleep on the play room floor or in the rocking chair this afternoon.

Ok, let me see if I can get some pictures posted on this blog!

Ion eats with a spoon now!    





Mihaela 
Marius
Lea Celine loves to pose for the camera
Ok, a picture of me - and Gaby
Steve and Raul - who doesn't like the flash
Alina
New baby - Ana Maria
Toddler beds
New baby - Costel
Alexandra
Ion
Miha
Lorraine with Andreea and Roxana
Lorraine and Alina - pretending to be a baby
Gaby entranced by her reflection
Steve and Ana Maria

1 comment:

  1. Love all the pictures, Evan!! I laughed at the one of Alina pretending to be a baby after your story of her hitting you the other day, she's a character! The new babies are cute, keep us updated on what you hear about them medically (I have to admit I am jealous that you got new babies! haha).

    ReplyDelete