Monday, September 20, 2010

Haircuts


Oh yes, the haircuts continued today. Be prepared for some pictures of kids with really short hair. The non-mobiles have escaped the scissors so far. Mihaela says they want to cut their hair now when it is getting cold so it will dry faster and they won't have wet heads for as long.

There were quite a few aides working today so even though I didn't get to spend time with all of the children I felt like they all got attention - at least I hope so. I was mostly with the non-mobiles (including Maria Cleopatra) although I when there were several aides in the room I snuck out to visit Nicoletta and Costel. Unfortunately Ana Maria was asleep. I had planned to see Raul after lunch but instead had the pleasant surprise of meeting a Peace Corps volunteer who is at the primary school in Tutova. Her name is Alexandra and she is from New York. That is as much as I know because Mihaela took her off for a tour of the clinic and then she was helping with the mobiles and I didn't see her again. I think Mrs. Malika (the pre-school teacher, I think that is her name) brought her to the clinic today. Hopefully she will come often. She did say it was different to hear Mihaela and I speaking English. Perhaps I can have dinner with her before I leave although I don't know where she is staying.

The children are always a bit cranky on Mondays when they've had less attention from volunteers and aides over the weekend. In my room we had several who refused some of their bottles. After lunch, when I went into room #3 where the twins, Gaby and Ionutz are there was an awful smell. I figured dirty diaper(s). It was more than that though. Alina was in the room and she had done a strip tease before falling asleep and her clothes and her dirty diaper and some of its contents were on the floor. And she looked so peaceful sleeping there completely naked.

Oh yes, it rained today. The morning was chilly and very windy as if it was about to storm and sure enough it started after lunch and lasted most of the afternoon. Fortunately it stopped by the time I walked back to the hotel but the path was muddy. I'm used to that though.

Celine and Miha with haircuts
Ion, Petre and Andreea (Petre got his haircut after this picture was taken)
Celine, Roxana, Andreea, Miha
Miha about to go up and over
Cristi likes this spot behind the rocking chair
Costel today
Maria Cleopatra
Roxana and Maria Cleopatra (gives you a sense of size comparison)
Ana Maria
Mihaela and Gaby
Mirella and Andreea (or is it Roxana? they were in matching outfits today)
Celine standing!
Nicoletta and Gaby walking!
Daniela getting her hair cut today
Ionutz
Andreea standing and Cristi saying "who is this girl and why won't she get away from MY mirror?"
Cristi slept a lot of the morning today but generally he is a lot more active and wanting to play
Yin and Yang
Andreea is almost pulling herself up to standing on her own
Nicoletta is still in isolation
Alina, our free spirit
Live chickens being sold at the Saturday market in Barlad
Selling bags at the Saturday market
Flowers from the Saturday market
Tutova

1 comment:

  1. My princess (Alina) is so funny; gotta love that free spirit!

    ReplyDelete