Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Two Days Left

It is hard to believe I only have two days left at the clinic. I found out today that there will be only one person on the next team, someone who hasn't been here before. There were supposed to be 2 people and sounds like one person had to cancel at the last minute. It actually crossed my mind to see if I could stay for another week but I think I need to get home for multiple reasons, like making money so I can come back. Apparently the team after this next one has 2 people, then Nov. has 6 people, then 2 people in Dec. and after that I don't know. I am worried about these small teams, especially with new babies and others who need attention.

Before I forget, there has been a big scandal with the government all over the news. Apparently  a vote was taken on a pension bill that included among other provisions raising to the retirement age from 63 and 65 for women and men respectively to 65 and 67.  One political party left the chamber so only 80 people were there to vote, yet the vote results were 160 in favor. They were talking about redoing the vote - don't know what got decided. At lunch today, the tv news was full of info on a protest in the Piata Revolutie by trade unions about pensions and salaries and who knows what else. Looked like there were lots of people.

Mihaela was at the clinic today and picked up Delia at lunchtime and brought her back. I didn't see them during the afternoon but expect they were with the mobiles. Delia showed me her backpack with all of her school work at lunch time. She had many papers that said "foarte bine" (very good) on them. In free time, they can draw and she had done some excellent drawings. She is probably the only child at her school that has drawn a picture of an orphanage and orphans. The good news is the orphans were happy.I asked Delia what her favorite thing was about school today and she said religion class. Romanian Orthodox is the state religion so religion is taught in the public schools. If a child isn't Romanian Orthodox, the priest or whomever at their church needs to write them a note to get them excused from the Romanian Orthodox religion class. No separation of church and state here.

The 6:00 bottle came a bit early today so I went into the mobile room and hung out with Miha, Lea Celine, Alina and Andreea for a bit, and brought Gaby with me.I tried the singing and dancing routine to keep them amused and keep Miha from climbing up the radiator to the window sill and then tried bouncing them on my legs and then ran out of ideas. Plus it was time for dinner so I was ready to leave. Unfortunately, the aide had locked the door to keep the kids from escaping as they are known to do. So I waited for about 5 min. or so until Jalina walked by and I got her attention. BTW, the aides have been really good about helping me feed the children at bottle and yogurt time.

I've started writing in the childrens' journals that we leave for the upcoming volunteers. It is always fun to read back, especially to entries I wrote when I was last here in February. Some children have made good progress and for others it is very slow. I was pleased to see Cristi Daniel who has Down's syndrome becoming more active and then I realized he is 4 years old and probably not even at 1 year developmentally. Still, as long as they are doing better that is the most important thing.

The day started out foggy and then became quite sunny and pleasant. The children are being dressed in their warmer clothes though so I don't expect any more outdoor time. I have gotten away with opening the window a bit in the non-mobile play room. What are they going to do, fire me?!

Costel
Raul was withdrawn at first today but then he started to respond and smile a bit
Andreea is doing really well with standing
Gaby is the only one I let get near Maria Cleopatra
Cristi talking to Winnie the Pooh
Alina
Gaby and Nicoletta - and the penguin
Cristi behind the rocking chair - again
Tv coverage of the protest in Bucharest
Roxana admiring her hands
Ionutz
Marius visited the non-mobile room briefly this afternoon
Gaby (my flash was doing something strange)
Andreea dancing
Miha did not want her picture taken today



2 comments:

  1. aww my little man does not look very happy :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Evan - You may be interested to know that the protests in Bucharest are also on the news here in New York! Thank you for writing so faithfully and posting the photos. You are much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete